Children and Youth Program
Qur’an Academy offers a wide range of classes for children and youth.
- Reading-only (Nazirah) classes that teaches students to independently read the Qur’an fluently, learn basic tajweed and memorize some surahs from the 30th juz’a. Classes have two levels:
- Introductory level for children to help students learn the shape and morphology of the Arabic letters, their proper pronunciation, how to write them, how to properly read every letter with vowels, easily read words and sentences and ultimately be able to read the Qur’an properly. Students will memorize some surahs from 30th juz’a. Students attend one-hour session per week.
- Advanced level for children and youth level which aims at helping students memorize juz’a or more depending on student’s ability, improving student’s reading skills, teaching them basic tajweed rules and reading Qur’an with proper tajweed. It ultimately prepares them to join the advanced Hifz program. Students attend one-hour session per week.
- Memorization classes that help students memorize the Holy Qur’an. There are two types of memorization programs:
- Part-time memorization for children and youth to help students memorize juz’a or more depending on student’s ability, improve their tajweed level and prepare them to join advanced Hifz program. Students attend two 1-hour sessions on weekdays or one 1.5-hour session on weekend.
- Full-time (intensive) memorization for children and youth which aims at helping students memorize juz’a or more depending on student ability, improve their tajweed level and help them complete the memorization of the Holy Qur’an. Students attend one-hour session four days per week.
Qur’an Academy Group Recitation (Tilawah) Program
- To instill within the students a deep love and appreciation for the Qur’an and for the masjid
- To provide children with a strong foundation in reciting the Qur’an with proper pronunciation, including children who have not yet learned to read Arabic.
- To teach children basic virtues and manners associated with the Qur’an and masjid, based on guidance from our beloved messenger, Prophet Muhammad ﷺ
- Each class, the students listen to the instructor recite, and then they repeat after him together. The instructor recites surahs in a slow, measured manner that makes it easy for students to follow along and repeat after.
- Through this process and repetition, the students will naturally improve their makharij (articulation points of arabic letters) and their tajweed (recitation/pronunciation rules). In other words, they will gradually improve their ability to recite the Qur’an properly.
- Students are occasionally tested individually, with a focus on memorization and pronunciation. The instructor will provide feedback tailored to the student’s level and potential.
- There is also dedicated time for the kids to play around and have fun with their classmates, which is extremely valuable in building a strong positive connection to the Qur’an and to the masjid, especially at their age.
- Parents are strongly encouraged to have their children listen to the recordings of Shaykh Mahmoud Khalil Al Husary (aka Shaykh Al Husary). His legendary recitation is used as a teaching tool across the globe for students of all levels, as it is ideal to learn how to recite with proper pronunciation. This will also be highly beneficial in the student’s memorization journey.
Schedule and Structure:
- Classes will be held on Wednesdays from 5-7:30pm, and Saturdays from 10am-1pm.
- NOTE: Class schedule is subject to change based on the instructor’s schedule.
- There will be two levels
- Level 1: Beginner’s/new students (one section)
- Level 2: Accelerated/returning students (two sections)
- NOTE: Students may be shifted from one section to the other at any time, based on the discretion of the instructor.
- Each class is 45 minutes (weekdays) or 1 hour (weekends). The class components include:
- Listening to instructor’s recitation and repeating after him
- Individual testing and feedback
- Closing dua by instructor
- Occasional story time
Qur’an Academy offers a wide range of classes for Adults.
- Part-time memorization for men and women classes that help students memorize juz’a or more depending on student’s ability, improve their tajweed level, and help them ultimately memorize the Holy Qur’an according to his/her ability. These classes are for both males and females 15+. Students attend one-hour session once per week.
- Part-time memorization for women-only classes that help students memorize juz’a or more depending on student’s ability, improve their tajweed level, and help them ultimately memorize the Holy Qur’an according to his/her ability. These classes are for females 15+. Students attend one and half hour session once per week.